Office supplies including papers, notepads, pencils, folders, envelopes, pens, and much more are some stationery products for which there can be no replacement even when most of the business operations are now digitalized. Even after trying to become paperless for environmental conservation, large companies still end up using a lot of paper, which usually gets discarded in the end.
Inconsiderate use of office supplies especially paper-based products can have 2 negative impacts:
- It goes against the environmental conservation rules because a substantial number of trees are cut every year to make paper for our use, which needs to be minimized.
- It increases wasteful spending when we are trying to get more efficient in the management of our finances.
There are certain supply stocks that we still need for smooth functioning of business operations. One way to cut the cost spent on buying stationery products is by buying them in bulk from a wholesale supplier like Greenstationery. It is an online superstore for ordering all sorts of office supplies at the most affordable prices. They provide seamless operations right from order placement to doorstep delivery in the UK.
5 steps that you can follow in the office to reduce stationery costs
- Set electronic record-keeping policies:
- Use a computer database to store all office records instead of the traditional way of keeping them in folders.
- This will serve 3 purposes.
- It will reduce the need for papers.
- It will lower down the cost that is spent each year in purchasing papers and printing supplies.
- It will also reduce the need for storage space for organizing these important files.
- Encourage correspondence through digital means of communication:
- Using digital communication is a faster means of correspondence.
- In addition to that, it reduces wastage of paper, envelopes, and stamps.
- You must also encourage new applicants to apply for a job profile via email applications.
- Encourage the HR department of your company to keep a record of resumes digitally.
- Print test documents:
- Test printing is very essential and is very important for reducing the primary source of paper wastage.
- If you test print and fix any errors before you have printed multiple copies of the same, you are saving hundreds of paper each day.
- Use high-quality office supplies:
- This might sound contradictory when we are talking about cutting costs.
- However, investing in good-quality supplies ensure that these will be more durable and will last longer than the cheaper products.
- This does not mean that you should waste money on premium brands. Instead, choose brands that you have trusted for years.
- Keep track of your ordering habits:
- Avoid impulsive buying.
- Assess the requirement of office supplies in your organization for a year.
- Place order in bulk through whole suppliers to get products at huge discounts.
- At the end of the year, assess the amount of stock that was used, wasted, or was bought in excess.
- You can make graphical reports to determine where you can cut costs without depriving your staff of essential supplies.
Keep your employees motivated and encourage them to follow eco-friendly practices. You can arrange a seminar to inform them about their responsibility and obligation towards environmental preservation. These habits once inculcated will also cut unnecessary stationery cost.